10 Most Common Spanish Verbs
When learning Spanish, one of the most important aspects to master is verbs so I am going to give you my top 10 most common Spanish verbs.
There are certain verbs that will come up over and over again whether you are watching the news, having a conversation with someone in a Latin American country or watching your favourite Telenovela.
Verbs are very important in any language.
For any language the verbs are the skeleton of every sentence and this is doubly true for Spanish.
When you have a language that has around 17 tenses of verbs and you don’t have know how to use them – you are going to struggle.
When learning a foreign language you need to sit down sometimes and just hammer out some grammar exercises.
So let’s dive into my top 10 most common Spanish verbs.
Top 10 Most Common Spanish Verbs
1) Tener – “to have”
Easily one of the most important Spanish verbs to learn. It has multiple uses for example:
- Simple possession – I have a brother “Tengo un hermano”
- To indicate how old you are you would say – I am 26 years old “Yo tengo veinte seis anos”
- Indicating you have to go to a certain place – I have to go to the bank “Tiene que ir al banco”
Make sure you know this one and don’t forget that this is an irregular verb.
2) Hacer – “To do or to make”
This verb means both to do something or to make something. Can be confusing but the more you use the verb, the easier it becomes.
- To make something – I am making a meal “Hago una comida”
- To do something – We do
3) Estar/Ser – Estar and ser are arguably the most important verbs in the Spanish language
I go into detail of how to use these verbs in this blog post here.
Ser and estar are easily at the top of the most common spanish verbs so it is highly recommended that you learn these well.
4) Ir – means to go.
A very versatile verb which can be used to indicate when you are going somewhere and also can be used to indicate where you are going in the future.
- To go somewhere – I am going to watch a movie “Voy a ver una pelicula”
Kind of an irregular verb so learning the conjugation of this one can be helpful.
Easy verb meaning to say or to tell.
- To say – I want to say something “Quiero decir algo”
- To tell – I am going to tell you something important “Voy a decirte algo importante”
Verb meaning to know.
It is easy to confuse saber and conocer with one another.
In short saber means to know something for a fact.
Whereas conocer is used to indicate knowing people and is more personal.
Saber is more commonly used that conocer therefore we have put it on the most common verbs in Spanish list.
- To know – I want to know the truth “Quiero saber la verdad”
A relatively straightforward Spanish verb meaning to see.
- To see – I want to see that movie “Quiero ver esa pelicula”
Common verb meaning to to be able to something or commonly can. As in I can do that
- To be able to do something – I can sing “Yo puedo cantar”
A verb which means to come.
Note that this is a very common verb so know it well.
- To come – Are you going to come over “Vas a venir”
Useful verb which means to eat.
- To eat – Are you going to eat that? “Vas a comer eso?”
Conclusion – Top 10 Most Common Spanish Verbs
There you have it – a very useful list of the top 10 most common spanish verbs.
I will include a brief conjugation table of the above verbs so you have a nice reference of these useful verbs.
P.S – If you want to improve your use of verbs I highly encourage you to check out Practice Makes Perfect – Verbs here.
For less than a couple of beers or your weekly coffee at Starbucks you can learn to master the verbs of the Spanish language.